Hello Tumblr users! Ever wanted to have an instant messenger feature directly in your Tumblr dashboard? Well you can. And it’s super easy. You might remember the buzz about an extension called Babblr, but forget that, because it doesn’t work. However, XIM, which is a part of the new XKit 7, does work. If you don’t know what XKit is, it’s basically a working version of Missing E, and if you don’t know what that is, it’s basically a suite of extensions and improvements for Tumblr. And I’m going to show you all how to install it. (Chrome only for now).
- If you have XKit 6 or XKit Next installed, go ahead and disable them. If you don’t like Xkit 7, you can always go back to them later.
- Visit the Chrome webstore page for XKit 7 and add it to Chrome.
- Return to Tumblr, refresh the page, then click on the button that appears between your settings and logout button. This brings up your XKit settings.
- Click on the “Get Extensions” tab at the bottom, then install any of the extensions you want, including XIM.
- Go to the “My XKit” tab and configure the extensions to you liking.
And that’s it! You should have XIM open in your sidebar of your dashboard. From there you can add any tumblr user to your buddy list and IM them (note that they won’t get your message unless they themselves have XIM).
gonna try this.
I just installed this five minutes ago and so far I like it. I had to disable Missing E, but many of its features had stopped working for me anyway so.
Right now I’ve got Reblog Yourself, Reblog as Text, and Blacklist (essentially Savior except it searches both tags and text) activated, plus many “tweaks” like wrapped tags, narrower reblog bars, hide Tumblr Radar, etc.